Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinavia on PS3, it totally blows
phishybongwaters
post Dec 18 2010, 16:29
Post #1

Elite member

Group: Members
Member No.: 16545

Cinavia has been installed via one of the ps3 updates, which are of course required to access the PSN and play some new games. Cinavia is an incredibly lame (because it works) anti-piracy measure that essentially encodes a digital fingerprint into the audio of bluray and theater releases. All bluray players as of 2010 are required to have this and it is happening.

I found this out the hard way, sitting down to watch The.Social.Network.2010.BDRip.XviD-iMBT. I own 2 ps3 consoles, specifically for the video capabilities, gaming comes secondary. For the first time I got half way through that release and got a Cinavia copy protection warning and the audio started cutting out for a few minutes at a time.

I grabbed another release : The Social Network.2010.R5.LiNE.XviD-Noir, to verify that one indeed plays. This could also be on newly released DVDs, I really don't know.

I suggest anyone with a ps3 that hasn't updated, or jailbroken it, stop, do not update past 3.42 until there is a scene approved method to bypass Cinavia. There are a few rumors going around that are false:

Disabling wma support in the ps3 settings. First, to do this requires you to factory reset the software settings, second, it doesn`t do a thing as this has nothing to do with wma support.

Re-ecoding fixes this. Clearly it does not as a BDrip avi is obviously encoded.

Streaming from a media center fixes this: False, nothing fixes it as the player itself has the protection and checks the file, if the magic inaudible fingerprint isn`t there, bam.

Disconnecting from the internet stops it. Only if you disconnect BEFORE the update, even your bluray player might be updating if it`s connected to the net. As the fingerprint is in the source file, and the protection is on the device, network access makes no difference.

What I can tell so far is, any copy made from a Cinavia protect disc will have this issue, I'll assume the same goes for those digital copies you sometimes get. Until the scene finds a way around this, HD content, and anything coming from those HD sources, could be a problem. TV and old releases obviously are fine now, but who knows what the future holds. As it seems, this isn't backwards compatible, and requires this Cinavia on the source, as long as the source is Cinavia clean it's ok, so your old downloads should be safe. Anything from bluray recent is suspect.

This is lame and I hope the scene takes notice, or we're all back to watching via TV out.

--------------------
Having your PC stats in your signature means you have a small penis

Broadly speaking, liberalism emphasizes individual rights and equality of opportunity. Different forms of liberalism may propose very different policies, but they are generally united by their support for a number of principles, including extensive freedom of thought and speech, limitations on the power of governments, the rule of law, the free exchange of ideas, a market or mixed economy, and a transparent system of government. All liberals as well as some adherents of other political ideologies support some variant of the form of government known as liberal democracy, with open and fair elections, where all citizens have equal rights by law.

www.youtube.com/user/PhishyBongwater
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SyntaxError
post Dec 18 2010, 18:22
Post #2

Elite member

Member No.: 4369

QUOTE(phishybongwaters @ Dec 18 2010, 11:29) *

or we're all back to watching via TV out.

Or divx players.

I haven't had a problem with any properly encoded files playing on mine, and there's no way to connect it to the net, so my player can't be updated surreptitiously.
+Quote Post
Lingwo
post Dec 18 2010, 22:16
Post #3

Elite member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 127

I neither have had any problems and my PS3 is up to date and i play all my files through PS3 Media server. To be honest using a PS3 primarily as a media player is a bit silly. There are much better dedicated alternatives that will handle HD and Non HD content without the need of something like PS3 media server to transcode the video.

WD-HD Live is an example of a better dedicated media player.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
phishybongwaters
post Dec 18 2010, 22:41
Post #4

Elite member

I play most of the content, well, anything new, via usb hd on the ps3, anything else is streamed from the nas box, there is no transcoding involved.

As this copy protection deals with mainly bluray, your divx player will be fine, your bluray or hd box on the other hand, will probably have a firmware update to enable this, if it plays bluray. They can potentially sneak that update onto a disk, but so far any firmware for stand alones I've seen you have to manually put on.

This has nothing to do with properly encoding anything. If it's encoded from a bluray source with cinavia, and your device has been updated, it will throw back errors. So far audio issues for me that pausing and waiting solved.

Those of us who watch x264 content should be concerned. WD-HD Live is the obvious solution, and unless the scene can remove the protection, i'll be picking one up, well two I guess.

The fact that some of you have a fully updated ps3 and haven't seen this only means you haven't tried to watch something protected with cinavia yet. Like I said, I was completely oblivious to it until half way through The.Social.Network.2010.BDRip.XviD-iMBT

--------------------

Broadly speaking, liberalism emphasizes individual rights and equality of opportunity. Different forms of liberalism may propose very different policies, but they are generally united by their support for a number of principles, including extensive freedom of thought and speech, limitations on the power of governments, the rule of law, the free exchange of ideas, a market or mixed economy, and a transparent system of government. All liberals as well as some adherents of other political ideologies support some variant of the form of government known as liberal democracy, with open and fair elections, where all citizens have equal rights by law.

+Quote Post
fishheads
post Dec 19 2010, 01:19
Post #5

Elite member

Member No.: 12427

Cinavia started causing me probs about 6 months ago. I forget which film it was that I had probs with first, probably a CAM of Splice. Anyway this protection is actually clever and well worked out. There are various workarounds, or just get vids that don't have the problem in the 1st place. I can't say if this works, I'm sure things have moved on since but have a look anyway >

CODE
http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7220
+Quote Post
phishybongwaters
post Dec 19 2010, 12:20
Post #6

Elite member

This is the only trick I haven't tried yet. The easiest solution, now, is to avoid the releases that have it, if there is a list I don't have it. What I can do is keep posting the releases that I find to be problems in this thread.

Surprisingly I haven't encountered this on any bluray sourced movies EXCEPT that 1 bdrip. I watch a lot of x264 and I was surprised by that, I'm sure as I watch some news stuff it will change. If anyone has tried that chapters fix let us know, the comments I've read don't lead me to think it helps.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zuckerberg
post Dec 22 2010, 13:07
Post #7

Member No.: 33898

Just wanted to let you know of an update fix that seems to work.

I came to this thread because I had googled 'Social Network Cinavia' after getting muted audio on my PS3.

The next link I tried was this YouTube video:

Please DON'T use live links, use the # code button when inserting links in to your post. Thanks.

CODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Htgh9L87XY

The process is basically to switch the PS3 audio output to Optical AND then switch on multi-output audio - which effectively turns the HDMI audio back on again. The fact that you don't have an optical cable plugged in makes no difference.

I was a little skeptical but after watching a good 20 minutes on from that point, the Cinavia message has not appeared again.

Of course it could depend on the firmware version you have (mine is 3.41 for obvious reasons).

This is a simple fix and hopefully it works for you as well. Cheers.

This post has been edited by fishheads: Dec 22 2010, 14:18
+Quote Post
phishybongwaters
post Dec 30 2010, 11:18
Post #8

Elite member

Didn't seem to make any difference for me. I'm using hdmi for both audio and video, and also have the sonly supplied scart (?) adapter, which isn't actually plugged into the tv anymore. It's already set to multiple output.

The problem I have with that video is pretty easily explained:

Cinavia is installed on the ps3 with the firmware updated, and there's no method to remove it. Any source file with cinavia will have that audio watermark for any encoded copy coming from that source. Until the scene can stop it at the encoding level, there is no fix.

Cinavia doesn't care what output the audio is going through, all it knows is that if this watermark in the audio is there, do this, if this other watermark is there, do that. According to them, at least in the theater releases, this makes the playback device smart enough to know that the Telesync you are watching has audio from a theater or special projector only source, and I am not one of them, so I am not playing it. I'm not sure how this works with rips from blurays, but it does indeed throw back cinavia errors.

The other issue I have is that people are saying watch the file, once you get the warning, go do these steps, and you can watch it fine. You only get the warning once (at least I only got it once for the entire movie) and it's for a short period of time.

For example:

User A watches 20 minutes, gets the error, does the switch to optical out steps, starts video again, watches the rest with no errors.

User B (me) watches 20 minutes, gets the error, exits the file and just sits at the ps3 XMB screen for a minute or so, swearing about updating without reading the updatelog. He goes back in, and wow, the file plays fine.

When I encounter another cinavia enabled file I will try the exact steps, but I just don't see it working as it really shouldn't matter what output the audio is going to, as it's be intercepted before the output device, to check for the watermark. The ps3 player has the protection, not the speakers, is my point.

Hopefully this is a moot point as a new ps3 jailbreak method is about to drop, without a dongle, firmware independant, and they have fully cracked the sony keys so you can sign your own software. Once this is out folks, the ps3 is cracked wide open for good. Then it's a matter of porting vlc to the ps3.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fishheads
post Jan 3 2011, 14:12
Post #9

Elite member

Roll on proper f/w jailbreak, maybe the PS3 will finally play mkv native then.
+Quote Post
phishybongwaters
post Jan 3 2011, 16:01
Post #10

Elite member

that would just make my afternoon smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
yao847zi
post Jan 15 2011, 15:36
Post #11

Member No.: 33934

Product name removed has the power to tackle the playback problem of Cinavia protected Blu-ray on PS3. It can copy any Blu-ray disc with Cinavia watermark, and create a protected disc BDMV-REC disc which can be played on PS3.

faberiffic

This post has been edited by fishheads: Jan 15 2011, 17:58
+Quote Post
phishybongwaters
post Jan 15 2011, 16:22
Post #12

Elite member

ignoring the fact that your post is spam, why the hell would I want to burn a backup of a bluray disk? I want x264.

----

mkv2vob just updated and has settings to enable playback of cinavia on ps3 smile.gif Not exactly what changes are in place but not to enable proper cinavia protected content playback you must change these settings:

Always Transcode DTS must be OFF
Output must be set to File
Format can NOT be xvid

Now that said, what happens if you end up with DTS audio and you don't have a DTS device? Guess you get no audio I'm not really sure haven't tried with a full DTS rip yet but so far so good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fishheads
post Jan 15 2011, 17:59
Post #13

Elite member

I've removed the product name, if he spams again he'll be deleted and his IP banned.
+Quote Post
Nemo888
post Jan 16 2011, 23:21
Post #14

Elite member

Member No.: 24573

Never trust Sony! I learned that in the 90's.

DVD Fab DVDFab 8.0.7.0 (Beta) has fixed it already. Love that program
CODE
http://blog.dvdfab.com/category/dvdfab-news

I'm glad I bought those WD TV Live's for 89$ on boxing day. Plays MKV's fine. Twice it hasn't played audio for something in 2 terabytes of media, but that was a codec issue. It played the social network and other cinavia releases fine in HD rips.

Blu-ray/media players that use Cinavia:
* Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) firmware 3.10 or higher
* Pioneer BDP-V6000
* Marantz UD5005
* LG BDP550 (fw: 8.31.283.C)
* Denon DBP-1611UD

Blu-ray releases that contain Cinavia watermark:
* The Losers (Warner Brothers, Jul 20, 2010) (English track only)
* The Karate Kid (Sony, Oct 5, 2010) (most of the tracks)
* The Other Guys (Sony, Dec 14, 2010) (English track only)
* Resident Evil: Afterlife 2D (Sony, Dec 28, 2010) (English track only)
* Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D (Sony, Dec 28, 2010) (English track only)
* Salt (Sony, Dec 21, 2010) (English track only)
* The Social Network (Sony, Jan 11, 2011) (English track only)
* Takers (Sony, Jan 18, 2011) (English track only)

--------------------
8,000 Canadians die from hospital-acquired infections each year. Why can I get half a million for cameras in the Army to look for terrorists but I can't get 14,000$ for a fucking hand washing station in the surgical supply department?

The corporate grip on opinion in the US is one of the wonders of the Western world - Gore Vidal
+Quote Post
Fredricka
post Jun 21 2011, 01:18
Post #15

Member No.: 34477

QUOTE(phishybongwaters @ Dec 18 2010, 16:29) *

Cinavia has been installed via one of the x360 key updates, which are of course required to access the PSN and play some new games. Cinavia is an incredibly lame (because it works) anti-piracy measure that essentially encodes a digital fingerprint into the audio of bluray and theater releases. All bluray players as of 2010 are required to have this and it is happening.

I found this out the hard way, sitting down to watch The.Social.Network.2010.BDRip.XviD-iMBT. I own 2 ps3 consoles, specifically for the video capabilities, gaming wifirobin comes secondary. For the first time I got half way through that release and got a Cinavia copy air multiplier protection warning and the audio started cutting out for a few minutes at a time.

I grabbed another release : The Social Network.2010.R5.LiNE.XviD-Noir, to verify that one indeed plays. This could also be on newly released DVDs, I really don't know.

I suggest anyone with a ps3 that hasn't updated, or jailbroken it, stop, do not update past 3.42 until there is a scene approved method to bypass Cinavia. There are a few rumors going around that are false:

Disabling wma support in the ps3 settings. First, to do this requires you to factory reset the software settings, second, it doesn`t do a thing as this has nothing to do with wma support.

Re-ecoding fixes this. Clearly it does not as a BDrip avi is obviously encoded.

Streaming from a media center fixes this: False, nothing fixes it as the player itself has the protection and checks the file, if the magic inaudible fingerprint isn`t there, bam.

Disconnecting from the internet stops it. Only if you disconnect BEFORE the update, even your bluray player might be updating if it`s connected to the net. As the fingerprint is in the source file, and the protection is on the device, network access makes no difference.

What I can tell so far is, any copy made from a Cinavia protect disc will have this issue, I'll assume the same goes for those digital copies you sometimes get. Until the scene finds a way around this, HD content, and anything coming from those HD sources, could be a problem. TV and old releases obviously are fine now, but who knows what the future holds. As it seems, this isn't backwards compatible, and requires this Cinavia on the source, as long as the source is Cinavia clean it's ok, so your old downloads should be safe. Anything from bluray recent is suspect.

This is lame and I hope the scene takes notice, or we're all back to watching via TV out.

Cinavia doesn't care what output the audio is going through, all it knows is that if this watermark in the audio is there, do this, if this other watermark is there, do that.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 08:46 PM